Thursday, February 21, 2013

What’s Good About Having A Job?

I had a little downtime today while sitting in my office so I figured I’d semi rank what the best parts about having a job are(to me). Of course there is the other side of the coin where you could think about all the great things that not having/needing a job entails but that’s just too easy.  

Money. Let’s just get this out of the way quickly. Receiving a paycheck every two weeks or whenever is the best and most important part about having a job. It doesn’t need to be a giant sum of money or anything. So long as it pays the bills and allows you to enjoy yourself more than seldomly, then what’s cause for complaint. I didn’t mention saving money in there because that shit is for people that think they’re going to live forever. Our country/world is probably going to hell in a hand basket, so what’s the point of having all this money in the “bank” when the currency of the future will be clean water, bullets, and broken dreams.    

Competitiveness and Pride. When I’m working I always have a thought in the front of my head that I need to be the best at whatever I’m doing. I have had plenty of jobs since high school  and not once have I thought to myself, “meh, I’m gonna half ass this shit because who cares, it ain’t my company.” I’m not sure when that was instilled into me but I’ll be damned when I stop getting satisfaction from a job exceedingly well done. I really don’t understand people who have things they need to do (At work. ONLY talking about work here. Personal Life is a completely different story for me. Cause I kinda like watching things explode sometimes.) and somehow consciously decide that they aren’t going to do them, or put things off to the point where more work has come in and they are fucked for time. Internally, I get this fuse-being-lit feeling when I see people that work for me, or are my colleagues, slowly start to sabotage themselves by not staying out ahead of the proverbial work avalanche.

Contributing to Society in a Positive Way. Doing good is something that I sort of fell into backwards at my current employer. But it is nice to remind yourself every so often that even though things aren’t going exactly the way you planned, there are people out there benefitting from the things you do. It’s the counterweight to the utter despair you might feel when someone way up on the company food chain drops a giant piano on your head when you’re walking down the sidewalk.  

Social Skills. I admittedly can be a bit of surly from time to time with my friends and family. But working with other people when you do or don’t particularly like them gives you a lot better perspective on how people should treat each other. I mean, it’s common sense and everything, but being mean spirited to a coworker is maybe the dumbest thing you can do. Because you best believe you’ll end up needing a favor or have to work with them extensively sooner rather than later. And when that happens after hurting them, good fucking luck.

Problem Solving. Nothing keeps your mind sharp like having unexpected things happen to you at work, and then having to figure out what your best course of action is. Sometimes there is no solution to a problem, which god I hate that. But those are almost always the ones where you learn the most and end up gaining a shit ton of experience figuring shit out. Guh, I hate them initially though.  

Alleviating Parental Worry. My parents are going to worry about me one way or the other. But it helps my heart to know that they don’t have to worry about me struggling to make ends meet.

Free Time. I do not take my free time for granted when I have a job. That shit is like gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment