Thursday, June 18, 2020

Just The Dumbest Argument

Multiple times over the last couple years I've had something said to me in a "gotcha" sort of way that has always made me shake my head and dismiss the person by telling them to fuck off, and then I'd move along. The sentiment is always a variation of, "You grew up with privilege so you can't talk about inequality or want better things for others." To me it's an aggressively stupid and disingenuous argument. Since I grew up without worrying about rent or bills or meals I'm not allowed to want others to also grow up without those worries? The next step after seeing and getting your arms around your own privilege is then demanding that others also get to have the same opportunities afforded to them. Why the fuck would I want to pull the ladder up after me instead of helping others climb up? I've never been terrorized by cops. And I don't think anyone else should be either (I mean, I don't think we should even really have cops but that's a different conversation). I've never been drowned in debt, and I don't think anyone else should be either. I've never had a medical problem that I couldn't afford. And I don't think anyone else should have to worry about choosing between their medicine or groceries that month. I've never had to flee a war torn country only to get yanked away from the rest of my family and put in a cage at the US Border. And I don't think anyone else should have that happen to them either. I don't understand why people are so spiteful to the less fortunate. Instead of me low key getting called a class traitor or a race traitor for wanting everyone to have a better life, this shit needs to get flipped so the people that are so protective and greedy about their own privilege need to get called out and shamed for being such shitty people that they can only think about helping themselves, everyone else be damned. That kind of person can fuck off. We need to be done with lionizing the massively greedy and start going after them for not sharing in the wealth or helping others, or really doing anything for anyone beside themselves. You can't take it with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment